Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Worth of EVERY Soul

In Doctrine and Covenants 18:10 it says "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God." It doesn't say the worth of the upper class or the worth of the saints, but the worth of souls. Now, everyone has a soul, right? So, the worth EVERYONE is great in the sight of God.

I remember once in a seminary lesson, Brother Jones told us about the time he started to love everyone. I don't remember the entire story, just that he looked up at an old lady and realized that she was important too and that he loved her. Often times when I think of this scripture I think of reaching out to those who need help, to those who are lonely or just need a friend. This scripture always helped me find ways to serve and reminded me that even those who seem a little different are loved by God. However, lately I have started to think of this a little differently. Even those out there who are not the best people are loved by God.

Now, I'll be honest. I'm not the best when it comes to loving everyone. But, I've decided to try harder and see the good in everyone. From here on out when I meet new people I'm going to try my best to hold back on that first impression thought and look for the things that God loves about them. Obviously, this will take a lot of work. But it will be worth it. From the song we've sung our entire lives, "As I have loved you, love one another."

One of my favorite scriptures of all time is Romans 8:38-39, "For I am persuaded, that neighter death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God." He loves everyone, always will. And he wants us to do our best. Part of doing our best is helping others do their best along the way.

God loves you, and so do I. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment