Friday, January 14, 2011

A Wish

A star ran across the sky, leaving a bright trail behind it. 

Sarah took in a deep breath. "June," she poked me in the side. "June, did you see that?" 

I turned towards my little sister and nodded. "You know, when you see a star shoot across the sky like that, it means you get a wish."

"A wish?" Sarah's face lit up. "You mean, like in Aladdin? I can ask for anything I want and poof! it will just happen?"

I loved how easily my sister was excited. "Yep," I said, "just like that. All you have to do is close your eyes real tight and wish for something. Make sure it's a good wish. A shooting star wish shouldn't be wasted on something like a candy bar."

"That's what you told me about the bubble wishes in the rain gutters."

"Well, didn't your wish for a warmer coat come true? Star wishes are even more powerful than the rain gutter wishes. You can wish for something bigger and it really will happen." 

"Alright, then." Sarah closed her eyes real tight. "I wish..." 

"Sarah! You know better! No peeking when making a wish. It won't come true!" 

Sarah rolled her eyes and quickly shut them tight again. "I wish that every night I could sit outside like this with my sister next to me looking up at the stars." She opened her eyes and smiled at me, sliding closer and putting her head on my shoulder. 

"Time for bed," I told her. I tried to hide the fear on my face. I worried that her wish would become more of a reality then we'd like. I rolled over and pulled the blankets tighter around us. As I drifted off to sleep, I let out an endless prayer that we'd be safe, that we wouldn't be found. 

No comments:

Post a Comment