Sunday, December 25, 2011

A New Christmas "Tradition"

Every year on Christmas Eve we do the same thing. It's something I look forward to and have always enjoyed. As kids we'll all gather into one bedroom and make beds wherever we can find a spot. My mom will read us her favorite Christmas stories and then we'll watch a movie and attempt to stay up long enough to hear Santa. And then we'll wake up as early as we possibly can to open presents before promptly taking a nap.

Even now that we're older (the youngest is thirteen), we still do this. This year, however, was the time for change. We moved so we weren't exactly sure which room we should sleep in. Whitney married Quint and we weren't exactly sure how it was going to work with us all in the same room.

Mitchell and I decided we still wanted to do this. We moved his mattress into the TV room and then Julia moved hers as well. Whitney and Quint stayed to watch the movie with us and then headed off to their own room.

And here is where we made the mistake. We let Spencer decide which Christmas movie we would watch. Okay, maybe it isn't completely his fault. The good classic Christmas movies we have are still lost  from the move...hopefully we find them by next year.

Anyway, he decided on this super short, super cheesy version of The Nutcracker. It wasn't even five minutes into the movie before we devised a plan.

If you've seen this movie you know what I'm talking about. The kids are dressed in their best clothes as they open Christmas presents. This is weird to me. We've always been in our PJs with our hair a mess and our eyes barely open. If you know us you can probably guess what is about to happen.

We decided to surprise our parents and wake up slightly earlier so we could dress in our Sunday Best. We woke up, put on make-up, did our hair, all that fancy stuff. Julia and I even put on our prom dresses! The boys obviously weren't as excited about it as the girls. Spencer put on shorts, a yellow polo shirt and a zip-up tie. Mitchell put on a suit jacket over top of his pajamas. Quint put on actual clothes but still looked nice.

When my dad saw us he didn't seem fazed at all. I guess that by now he's gotten used to us. My mom though, she was shocked. She just looked us and said "What are you guys doing?" and then she realized she could laugh about it.

As fun as it was, I don't think it will continue. I don't really want to wake up early to curl my hair and put on my prom dress before sitting on the floor to open presents.

Let me just say this - I LOVE MY FAMILY! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment