Saturday, November 24, 2012

The Easier Path


I started writing almost an hour ago. When I read through what I had written I realized that I had two completely different topics and had horribly tried to connect them. In my mind at three in the morning it made perfect sense. But, I felt I should cut it down to the topic that actually has a meaning. So here is the last half of the post I started to write when I should have been sleeping.

All day long I've been thinking about how my life is moving. About how easily I am frustrated with life and how I wish I could be satisfied. I often think there has got to be an easier way, that life shouldn't be so complicated and difficult. As I sat in bed, a few scriptures came to my mind.

In Matthew chapter 11:28 it says "Come unto me, ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." The majority of the time I'd stop reading there and find comfort. It is a great scripture. By turning to him I can find rest. There is nothing wrong with that. However, if I keep reading, I kind find more. In the next verse it says, "Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart; and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

There are many ways to view that scripture. Relating to my own thoughts, I sometimes see it as someone saying "Come see how I do things. I am witty and charming and have my life together. Try things this way and even you can end up where you want to be." I sometimes see it as an observation type thing. I can just see how someone else does things and then suddenly I'll be able to do them that way, too. But that isn't how it works. "Take my yoke upon you." That right there is an action. Christ isn't saying He'll do all the work, but rather He is saying He'll share the work, He's nice enough to do half of  it. He isn't just going to show me, He will guide me and do things with me.

In 2 Corinthians 6:14 it says "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers; for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" This verse helps me see that I've been doing a lot of things wrong. I often think that I need to surround myself with people who I think  have all the qualities I lack. Of course, there is nothing wrong with trying to gain new characteristics and attributes. There is nothing wrong with looking up to people and admiring things about them, things I hope to live up to. But sometimes we need, I need to take things at a pace more suited to my own personal situation.

And this is where Christ comes in. He'll take the yoke with me, He's willing to work at the pace I personally need. As long as I am doing my part, He will be there next to me doing his.

The mistake I often make is moving too quickly, slowly, or trying to pull in a direction I feel I need to go. I forget that Heavenly Father is the one in charge and that He is the one to have the final say. If He wants me to slow down, I should. He has the map in hand, He can see what steep climbs are ahead. If I ask and if I listen, He will tell me the way to go, the pace I should travel, and the stops I should make. I honestly believe that if there is something I need to know, He will tell me. All I have to do is ask. He won't leave me hanging. He won't laugh and say "It's a secret! You'll have to wait and hear it through the grape vine!" He'll tell me. As simple as that.

Matthew 11 ends with these words, "For MY yoke is easy, and my burden is light." If we do things His way we will be happy. If we listen and slow down, speed up, take a turn we didn't plan to take, our journey can become what He has planned and will become easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment