Thursday, November 15, 2012

Gratitude = Optimism

Today was one of those days. I just couldn't be happy. I kept thinking about all the things I'm missing out on by living at home, of all the places I wanted to be, of all the things I wished I could be doing.

With the bad mood in tow, I drove home from work. The closer I got to home, the more upset I became. And believe me, I came up with plenty to be upset about.

Near my house, there is a street completely covered with trees. Even with the bad mood clouding my thoughts, as I drove down that street I couldn't help but think "Gosh, these trees are gorgeous! They always make me happy." I know it sounds cheesy, but it's the truth. And sometimes, I just need a cheesy tree moment to pull me out of my awful thoughts and focus on the good.

And you know what I realized? I could come up with more to be thankful for than to be upset about. I am blessed more than I deserve, and I shouldn't dwell on the bad. I need to be optimistic and notice the good.

So, here are some things I am thankful for that bring me into a more optimistic mindset.

I'm thankful for the days I can just sit down listen to music with Mitchell.

For the fact that both my brothers like me to read to them before they go to bed.

That I have parents who will be on my side no matter what.

For an older sister who, even though she has so much going on in her own life, will spend an entire day reading every blog post I've ever written and then later ask to read other things I've written.

I'm thankful for the days I don't get a flat tire, run out of gas, or get pulled over on my way to work.

For those moments a student tells me "I wish you were my teacher, I love your class."

I'm thankful that people believe in me and haven't given up on me.

For the days I'm at work and I don't get fired.

That I have a best friend who will listen to me all day long, no matter what I have to say.

I'm thankful when I don't choke on my food.

For the fact that I have a job that doesn't require me to wake up early, drive a long distance, cause me to lower my standards, or involves people throwing tomatoes at my face.

That my little sister will call me back even if all I said in my message was "I WANT TO JUMP IN LEAVES!"

For the times Spencer doesn't make fun of me when I try to play a video game.

That the guy from that awkward date didn't murder me.

For friends who still keep in touch.

I'm thankful when the green light is lit up when I get to the stop light.

For the students who seem to read my mind and know when I need a pick-me-up.

I'm grateful for a loving Heavenly Father who puts up with me and loves me no matter what.

I could keep going for hours. But, the point isn't to list every little thing I'm thankful for. The point is to remind myself that being grateful for something can help me see the bright side, help me to have a happier attitude.

1 comment: