Sunday, February 19, 2012

Artsy, Fartsy...

I've never been too good at art. I went through a stage where I thought I was good, but I'll probably keep that sketch book for private viewing only.

However, I do consider my mind to be a creative one. I've got an imagination. And lately,  I've tried turning my "artsy" ideas to projects. It's going quite smoothly, if you ask me. However, Chelsea walked into our apartment and said, "Sometimes I walk into our apartment and wonder what kindergartner lives here." She's right, our decorations are much like what a kindergarten class would come up with.

Last weekend Chelsea and I made a "chandelier" out of toilet paper rolls, construction paper, string, Hello Kitty duct tape, and some wire hangers. I rather like the way it looks, although those who are taller than me may find it a bit annoying. I forget that hanging things at my height doesn't always make others happy. Maybe one day I'll hang it higher. And maybe one day I'll even put lights in it to make it a true chandelier.

For a while now Julia and I have been wanting to do that melted crayon art. Seeing how I am home this weekend we decided to actually do something we've wanted to do. Even though I'm no artist compared to her (my drawings/paintings/doodles all consist of the same fat dinosaur), I figured I could cut, glue, and apply heat.

The hardest part was trying to decide what colors, picture, and pattern to do. I thought of everything from a swing, Peter Pan, Alice in Wonderland, music notes, and dinosaurs. I like what I finally decided on. It turned out, in my opinion, perfect. :) Spencer and Julia both made one too. And they are all, very much, our personalities. :)

For the first time I'm attempting to add pictures to my blog...deep breath...here goes...





This one is Spencer's. He wanted to do all black, white, and grey, but there weren't enough crayons. He added in the brown and there still weren't enough to cover the top of the canvas. However, it turned out pretty cute.

  












This one is Julia's. Of course, her's looks the best. She was also done first and somehow managed to put the most work into it. Yeah, my little sister is amazing! :)







And this one is mine. Not quite how I pictured it, but for me it is impressive. :)








And that is our weekend art project. A lot of fun! If I was rich, I'd probably be making more. That way I wouldn't have to decide between swings, Peter Pan, Alice, music, or dinosaurs. ;)


PS For anyone interested, my dad started a blog today....you can see it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment